Pages

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

That's no moon, it's a space station

We're building up to the end of Vegan MoFo... can you feel the excitement?  I've got plans for a grand finale on Monday next week (September 30th!), but in the meantime I'd like to share this little masterpiece with you:

OMGWTFBBQ
Yes friends, that IS a Vegan Barbecue Sundae.  My husband (NOT vegan) dragged me to the Kentucky Barbecue Festival a few weeks ago, and one of the participating teams was selling BBQ Sundaes, and they were going like hotcakes.  Sad, but true.  These concoctions were served in clear Solo cups with a big dill pickle wedge stuffed in the side.  I thought to myself, "Wow. That's disgusting."  And then I thought, "This needs to be veganized!"  (You'll note there is no dill pickle in the picture above.  I don't like them myself, but they do kinda add a nice finishing touch to the presentation, especially for a party!)

Now, everybody knows that soy curls are the ideal product for some good vegan BBQ, so that's what I used.  I re-hydrate my soy curls in a broth with the same seasonings Isa Chandra Moskowitz uses for her Tempeh Bacon in Vegan With a Vengeance.  Then I saute them until the liquid is mostly evaporated and the curls are starting to brown, and then add bbq sauce.  I'm partial to Kansas City sweet sauce myself, but you can use whatever.

The bottom layer is composed of the Cheater Baked Beans from Veganomicon.  Yum yum yum.

The recipe I'm going to share today is for the slaw, which I sorta made up based on the description of the BBQ Sundae at the Festival:  Key Lime Coleslaw.  It sounded interesting, so I definitely wanted to give it a go. It turned out really tangy and creamy, just perfect to cut the sweetness of the BBQ soy curls and the mustardy-molasses-y goodness of the beans.  I definitely see this slaw becoming a fave for future vegan BBQ events!

I perused some Lime Slaw recipes on the web for a while, and here's the result:

KEY LIME COLESLAW

1 bag of shredded cabbage (I used Trader Joe's.  I'd estimate there were approximately 4 cups of cabbage in that bag. Pick out the big stemmy pieces that didn't shred right.)
1 medium carrot, grated
1/2 small onion, minced
2 green onions, chopped into small pieces
1/4 cup vegan mayo (I used E.B. Mindful Mayo)
1/4 cup vegan sour cream (I used Tofutti)
the juice and zest of 1 lime
1 tsp. sugar
salt and pepper to taste.

Mix the mayo, sour cream, lime juice and zest, and sugar in a large bowl.  Add all the veggies and toss well to get everything coated.  Add a little salt and pepper and taste.  Add more seasonings as needed/desired.  Refrigerate until ready to use.

And the leftovers are awesome for lunch the next day!






No comments:

Post a Comment