Pages

Monday, September 9, 2013

Freshman Vegan Mofo: Weekend Report

Blargh. I am super backed up at work, so I actually came into work this past weekend.  Here's Saturday's breakfast at home, then lunch at my desk.  That's a veggie slider burger from the VegNews summer burger issue (burger from the Pretzel Slider recipe); with the bun being homemade from Julie Hasson's Vegan Diner recipe:

Hippy Wrap:  Soygurt, granola, banana slices & peanut butter in a tortilla. Yum.


**Stuffed animal Peep!  No real Peeps were harmed in the making of this desk accessory!

But, Saturday night was at least a happy fun time in that we went stargazing at Shakertown and saw (through a telescope): craters on the moon, Venus, the rings around Saturn, and the Lagoon Nebula.  Awesomeness!

Waiting for Saturn
Sunday was a big day of cooking & baking.  First, I made a Swiss Chard Pie (recipe from Colleen Patrick-Goudreau's Color Me Vegan) with a Golden Vegetable Crust (recipe from Enchanted Broccoli Forrest) for one of James's co-workers whose partner had suffered a stroke:

I think this needs to go in the gross food pictures category.  But tasty!

Breakfast for the kids was so FANTASTIC that my daughter (who is twelve) had to post a picture on Instagram.  (She's taking after me!)

And I quote, "STRAWBERRY SMOOTHIE!!!!"

I enjoyed the front yard:






And then I made Peanut Butter Swirl Black Bean Brownies from the Lunchbox Bunch for dessert after dinner.  Unfortunately, the verdict on these from my kids was not positive.  To be exact, Jake said they tasted funny, and Caileigh said they were weird.  They were okay, but I could tell I was eating a mouthful of beans, and that is not what I want when I want dessert.  But, I wanted to give them a try and Vegan Mofo seemed like the perfect time to do it:

Kathy Patalsky's picture is must nicer. 


Best experiment of the weekend?  Vegan Thai-Style Pizza.  Made some quickie spicy-peanut sauce, topped with julienned carrots & zucchini, sliced onions & mushrooms, and green onions.  Tofu would have been good, too.  Then drizzled with cashew cheese sauce (which was also from Color Me Vegan, in preparation for the Swiss Chard Pie) and baked.  Dee-lish!

Crappy cell phone picture, ahoy!
See you tomorrow!


No comments:

Post a Comment