Pages

Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Down the Rabbit Hole

When I decided to use Disney movies as part of my theme for Vegan MOFO, I went and looked up a list of all the Disney movies on Wikipedia.  I haven't counted them all, but there's well over 200.  Ay yi yi!  How to narrow this down?  I could do just animated films, but that would exclude some of my very favorite movies.  And then, some movies don't lend themselves to a food theme at all.  Just go chronologically?  Well, I've already messed that up by skipping Pinocchio, and then I'd definitely never get to some of my favorite newer films.

I finally decided to pick movies that I enjoy, that inspire me to cook, and to present them in mostly chronological order.  To that end, I give you today's film:  Alice in Wonderland.

The funny thing about this film is that I don't really like Alice that much.  She's kind of a brat. But there are so many other wonderful characters in this movie:  The Mad Hatter (obviously!), the Cheshire Cat, the Red Queen, the White Rabbit, the Hookah-smoking Caterpillar, the Dormouse... hurrah! 



We're definitely heading to a Mad Vegan Tea Party!

A few words about tea:
"English TEA refers to both a drink and to a social ritual. Tea the drink is served strong and milky; if you want it any other way, say so.  Tea the social ritual centers around a meal. Afternoon high tea includes salads, sandwiches, and pastries... Cream tea, a specialty of Devon and Cornwall, includes toast, shortbread, crumpets, scones and jam, accompanied by delicious clotted cream (a cross between whipped cream and butter).  Most Brits take short tea breaks each day; mornings ("elevenses"), and afternoons (around 4 pm).  Sunday takes the cake for the best tea day; the indulgent can while away a couple of hours over a pot of Earl Grey, a pile of buttered scones, and the Sunday supplements."  -Let's Go Britain

I'm thinking whipped coconut cream as a replacement for the clotted cream?  British vegans, please report immediately!

Here's my recipe for scones.  Please serve warm with earth balance and jelly!

British Scones

2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp. cream of tartar
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 pinch salt
1/4 cup margarine
1/8 cup white sugar
1/2 cup non-dairy milk + 2 T.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.  Put the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.  Stir to combine.  Rub in the margarine until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.  Stir in the sugar and enough milk to make a soft dough.  Turn out onto a floured surface, knead lightly and roll out to a 3/4 inch thickness.  Cut into 2-inch rounds and place on the prepared baking sheet. Brush with milk to glaze.  Bake for about 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned.  Serve with butter, cream and jam. 

I apologize for this really crappy picture.  My computer died today and I'm typing this on my son's laptop that he let me borrow. I was lucky to get this crappy phone picture even loaded.  At least I got to eat that scone!

1 comment:

  1. your Disney theme is wonderful! these scones look so good. Especially with all that EB and jam. I want to climb through the computer screen and eat it up!!

    ReplyDelete